Tuesday, January 19, 2010

POWER

Since Dad passed away, one month ago today, I have felt myself propelled by an internal source of energy that I never knew I always had. I like to think of it as one more gift from Dad to me. This energy is what enabled me to get up and speak with Melissa at Dad’s funeral, and why I didn’t have to think twice about signing on for this running adventure. It’s the energy source that encourages me to live life to the fullest – to be happier, to love harder, and to always aim for success – which is something that Dad and Mom both always set as an example of for us girls.



Dad definitely had the “work hard-play hard” mantra down – and seemed to have an endless supply of energy, especially when it came to fitting in some fun time. He worked his butt off during tax season, but could always sneak in a trip to Atlantic City, Eagles games, a round of golf, or a quick trip up to Lehigh to have dinner with me while I was in school! Even when he was sick and going through treatments, he kept Mom, Melissa, and me propped up with his optimism. He never set up roadblocks for himself to getting what he wanted – he simply figured out what it was he wanted to do, and did what it took to get it.


As I go through this training, I can become a bit overwhelmed at the idea of running 13.1 miles at once – when the max of my life is probably shy of 5 miles. The memories of Dad’s strength to tackle any roadblock – real or imaginary – are what keep me going as those miles get longer.


I’m hoping this energy stays with me – at least long enough for me to cross the finish line!

Victoria


No comments:

Post a Comment