Thursday, January 28, 2010

Decisions, decisions

This morning I had 2 goals for my one mile run that I had scheduled. Both of which I failed to accomplish (sort of)...however, the reasons were out of my control so I don't feel bad about it!

Goal 1: Take pictures on the trail I run. I figured that for a 1 mile run it wouldn't be annoying to carry my camera like it might be for a longer run.
Goal 2: Run FAST. I was just curious to see how fast I could do 1 mile, not that I would actually run this fast for the race or anything, just out of curiosity.

This morning I woke up late because I accidently left my phone on silent after my night class last night. Luckily I naturally woke up around 6:50, so I still had plenty of time. This morning was slightly different from Tuesday morning!!

Anyway, last night when I checked the weather it said it wasn't supposed to snow until 5 pm, but Weather.com is a liar! When I walked outside this morning I saw this:

Snow!!!
I almost went back inside, but I really wanted to run this morning. I thought about maybe just walking to the gym and running inside, but was honestly a little afraid because that's where I got my injury in the first place. I immediately decided not to run across the bridge and to the trail where it is not heavily populated. I had a vision of myself ending up like this:
 

I decided that I would run my route from the first few runs-- on the streets off campus. Then while I was doing my warm up walk, I decided that it would be nice to take pictures around campus, so I thought I would do my run through campus today.

 
Alumni Memorial Building
 
Then I changed my mind because I remembered that the ground through campus is mostly brick. 
 
Brick+snow= slippery+running= disaster 

So I went back to Plan A and decided to do the off campus streets. All this decision making was done in the time it took me to do my warm up walking mile! Talk about not being able to make up your mind!!! 
 
Dad was always so good at making a decision and just sticking to it. He helped me make so many major decisions in my life (going to Lehigh, choosing to do my internship last summer at KPMG) and some minor decisions (like what to watch on TV).

Once I made up my mind to run off campus I stuck to it and headed off to run my 1 mile. Here are today's splits:

Mile 1: 17:34 (warm up, stopped to take pictures)
Mile 2: 8:13
Mile 3: 16:09 (cool down)

I definitely ran faster than usual today (goal 2), but because of the snow I had to tread carefully in some areas which definitely slowed me down. Once I got home, I checked out my pace for the whole mile, and at one point I was running at 6:42 pace! I thought that was pretty cool! If it's not snowing next week, I might try this again just to see what I can do, or I might just focus on getting my mileage up. We'll see! Happy Thursday!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment