Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Guess Who's Back?!

This morning I went for my first run since my injury ~2 months ago! And it felt so good! Now I only ran a mile, but the fact that my right hip is not in excruciating pain right now is huge progress. I plan on slowly building my mileage back up to where it was...and then some...in preparation for the half marathon.

I layered up with tights on top and bottom, pants, a half-zip top, a windbreaker, ear warmers and gloves. Then I stretched for a little bit. When I left my house my FR60 seemed to be frozen (?!), after a minor panic attack it was working fine (I guess it just needed a minute). I walked for a mile, at first I was quite chilly, but once I got going I started to warm up. My legs were itching to run after about 5 minutes of walking, but I decided to walk the full mile. Then, my Garmin beeped and told me it was time to run!!! I intended on just doing a slow jog, but I got so excited and couldn't help but run a little faster than I probably should have. Oh well. After my mile was up, I walked another 1.3 miles back home. Here are my splits:

Mile 1- 15:43
Mile 2- 9:12
Mile 3- 15:22
.3- 6:36 (I forgot to stop my watch when I got home, so it was actually shorter than this)


Coolest thing ever

Now I know running a 5k in 47 minutes is far from impressive, but I'm quite happy with the mile that I did run. One area where I want to improve is with pacing myself. Since I only had 1 mile to run today this did not apply, but I also know that I can not sustain a 9 minute mile pace for 13.1 miles. 


Overall, the run felt great, during my walk home I paid really close attention to my hip and it felt fine, around mile 3.15 I felt a twinge, but it went away within seconds. After uploading my stats to my computer (again, I love my Garmin), I stretched again and then iced my hip. When we were at Bryn Mawr Running Co. the other day I was flipping through an injury prevention book, and it said not to use the store bought ice packs because they regulate to your body temperature too quickly. 




I used strawberries :)

Tonight Vic and I are going to our first Team in Training meeting. We'll let you know how it goes!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment