Sunday, January 31, 2010

5k day

I just got back from what I would consider my first "real" training run. I don't mean to say that the runs I've been going on haven't been "real" and I don't mean to insult anyone; but, in my head for ME it's not really a workout unless I run at least 3 miles. Today was that day!

Let's back up to earlier this weekend. Friday night I stayed in with my roommate, Danielle, and just watched a movie. Okay, okay we watched Titanic...no shame!
When the movie first came out I was in 4th grade and I went to see it with Mom and Dad in theaters. I thought it was the GREATEST movie ever (still kind of do haha) and Dad used to tease me and make fun of the scene at the end where they were all in the water. He would walk around going "bob, bob, bob" and imitate the people in the water. I would get SO mad!

Saturday morning would have been perfect to go for my run because I hadn't done the usual college student Friday night. However, it was so cold that I don't think I would have made it very long. I think the "feels like" temperature was about 8 degrees!!!! So I got some work done (kind of), went to my cousin Connor's basketball game (they won!) and decided that I would run on Sunday instead.

All of this seemed like a good plan, but then I decided to go out last night. We went to Looper's (a cute little bar with fancy martinis). I had a little too much fun. I might have had one of these:

 
2 of my roommates and me

Anyway, the point of all that was that I woke up this morning and was not feeling well at all. I wasn't sure I would be able to get my run in. After sleeping a little longer and drinking lots and lots of water I decided to suck it up and get going! I was motivated to go because of all of YOU who are supporting Vic and me in our adventure! 

Not only was I dreading the run because I didn't feel so hot, but I thought it was going to be really cold again. This time I was pleasantly surprised when I went outside though. It was a beautiful day for running! I was even a little warm in all of my layers! I was also excited about this run because I had a new set of headphones! My old ones broke:

They still worked fine and since I'm a snob when it comes to my headphones (ipod ones only!) I didn't want to go shell out the cash for a new pair. But, my roommate, Mimi, happened to have a spare pair that she wasn't using and she was nice enough to give them to me! 

With my new headphones in, I headed off for my run. I warmed up by walking to the trail, I had 3 miles scheduled for today but as I was running I decided to go for a 5k, and then I decided just to finish off that quarter mile so I ended up running 3.25 today. It felt great! It was fun getting to go further down the trail today too. Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 14:54 (warm up)
Mile 2: 8:33
Mile 3: 8:55
Mile 4: 8:56
Mile 5: 14:06 (ran for .25, walked for .75 for cool down)
.51: 7:43
For a total of 5.51 miles in 1 hour, 3 minutes and 10 seconds

My Garmin is having issues connecting to my computer, so I can't analyze the miles and I'm not sure how fast I ran the .25 but I'm really happy with my stats for today. For ME that is an excellent time for a 5k! Now I only need to add 10 miles to today's run and I'll be ready for race day! 

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment