Sunday, January 31, 2010

First Team Run

So yesterday I had my first outdoor run with Team In Training...in sub-zero degree weather!


We met up at 7:50 AM at Valley Forge to do a 2-3 mile loop...which ended up being 2.54 miles according to my Garmin watch.


It was great to meet all of the coaches, and some of the teammates who will be racing at Lehigh Valley in April with my sister and me - including a nurse from Hahnemann who had worked with Dad, and a friend of one of my coworkers.  It is such a small world.  There are also teammates training for other races around the country that will take place in the Spring/Summer season of 2010.


The coaches said that this run would most likely be one of our most challenging:  it was our first run, the coldest day of the year, and at our toughest course - as Valley Forge has more hills and is windier than any other training site.


The running part was fine - and I was able to stay at the front of the second fastest group of runners, and various coaches would come up and run with us for a segment of the run to keep us motivated and energized.  This was nice - but I am definitely not used to talking while running - especially when my face is frozen from the cold!


As for temperature, I had taken an emergency trip to Bryn Mawr Running Company on Friday to stock up on gear.  I got some lightweight but very toasty pants, and a nice jacket to wear over a thin under armor top.  My body temperature was perfect for the run.  My feet were fine too.  My weakest point were my hands - which even a heated steering wheel couldn't help with on the drive home!  It is COLD OUTSIDE!


It was much more entertaining to run with a group than on my own - and I'm so looking forward to training with the team!  This Thursday we have our Kickoff Party in Conshohocken - so I'm looking forward to getting to know my teammates outside of running.


I want to send a quick shout out to all of our friends and supporters of our race.  We've already raised over $14,000 - in only 2 weeks of having the website posted - which is $10,000 more than we had originally set as a goal.  We can't thank you all enough for supporting our cause!


Happy February!
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment