Saturday, January 9, 2010

Crazy idea!

Hello blogworld! (or maybe just Vic…and I’m guessing aunt Joan will read this once we tell her about it)

I’m so excited to be starting this blog! I’m even more excited to say that my sister and I are officially training for a half marathon!!!!

A little background…
I started running “seriously” in August of 2009. I was logging about 25-30 miles a week, but on the treadmill only. I’m scared of road running! Eek! I dabbled with the idea of running a 5k. In October, I decided to try to go for a road run while I was home on fall break to prep for doing a race. It was hard, way harder than running on my beloved treadmill (unlike most people, I don’t think of it as the dreadmill). Dad was in the hospital, post bone marrow transplant, and I called him before my run to figure out where to go for about a 3 mile run. He was so impressed with my 30-ish miles a week. I decided road running wasn’t really for me and went back to my treadmill <3. I was running faster! I was running longer! My longest run to date is 8 and half miles, and I could have kept going (I had a really great playlist going and could have jammed out for another mile at least), but I had somewhere to be so decided 8.5 was enough for one day. Then one day about 2 weeks later I had a nagging pain in my leg during a run. But being my crazy self I ran through the pain for at least another week. Next thing I know it’s January and I haven’t ran in almost 2 months and I’ve been going to physical therapy for my IT band.


Daddy and Me, December 2008


Anyway, when Daddy died in December I knew I would be signing up for the first race I could find that supported the Leukemia and Lymphoma society (CANCER SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!). I just never, ever in a million years thought I would be crazy enough to make my first race be a HALF MARATHON! I mean sure I ran a lot all fall but I’m not a real runner! Seriously, this is crazy! But this race is perfect. It’s in Allentown (right by school), it’s on April 25th which is far enough away that I can train and gradually build up my mileage, and it is 2 days after Daddy’s birthday. I spoke to my physical therapist and with his approval I am allowed to go for a run on Tuesday!


Daddy, Mom, Me and Vic at Buddakan, August 2007


I’m really nervous to try road running again, but it’s time I conquered my “fear”. I’m going to suck up any negative feelings I have about running on the road instead of the treadmill and do this for my Daddy. I know he would say anyone running for 13.1 miles is nuts, but I also know he would be so proud of Vic and me. So in 16 weeks, I will (hopefully) be crossing the finish line for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment