Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Butt Kicking

This morning sort of felt like SPRING!!! I hopped out of bed this morning to go for an outdoor run.
 

I haven't been able to do an early morning outdoor run in a while because of all the snow we've gotten, but today there was not a flurry in sight and the roads were dry! I was really happy because I fully blame the treadmill for my sore IT band last week. (Maybe it really is the dreadmill!!) I'm still not feeling 100%, but it is definitely somewhat better. I knew that I didn't want to do my run on the treadmill though, so it was either outside or not at all.

Instead of treking down to the trail, I decided to just run on the roads. I really like running on the trail, but it's been pretty muddy and I also think it's good to change it up occasionally. In the interest of time, I skipped my warm up mile this morning. I figured one time skipping it wouldn't be a terrible thing. There is a little loop that I thought was 2.2 miles from my house and back--turns out I was right! So I did that loop, and then just randomly ran up and down the streets and eventually across the bridge to the north side. I hit 5 miles just I reached the end of the bridge and then I turned around and walked the .77 miles home.

It was a gorgeous morning and perfect for an early morning run! My splits weren't great for a short-ish run, but I tackled several hills! I had been trying to avoid hills but I know that the race won't be completely flat so it's good to incorporate them sometimes. Anyway, here are the splits:

Mile 1: 9:38
Mile 2: 9:51
Mile 3: 9:49
Mile 4: 10:01
Mile 5: 10:08
.77: 12:55 (cool down)

Now my glutes are yelling at me. It could be from a number of things:
1) Sunday's 8 mile run
2) Falling down the stairs on Sunday night. :( Yup, on Sunday night my roommate was sitting downstairs watching TV and I ran to go tell her something. I was only wearing socks and I slipped on the stairs. I kind of flew over them and landed at the bottom.

 
Taken at the Vatican in Rome :)

3) Today's hills

One of these things totally kicked my butt!!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment