Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hitting My Stride


So I rediscovered the joy of running last night.  We had a Team In Training special mid-week practice at Kelly Drive, so I left work early expecting a lot of traffic (as there usually is) on the Schuylkill Expressway.  Shockingly, I got there 30 minutes ahead of the team, so I decided to go for a solo run instead of waiting.  I ran five miles and my body was just humming.  I can remember just a few short weeks ago when I could barely run 5K!  I’m so excited that my body is finally succumbing to the torture I’ve been instilling on it, and accepting the fact that do or die, I’m going to finish this half marathon!  I so enjoyed running outside, and the path on Kelly Drive was very well lit, so I think I will continue to head out there at least once a week for my mid-week trainings.  It’s so much better than the treadmill!
Last night was also a special night at home because I got a message from one of Dad’s favorite nurses at Hahnemann (we love you Jami!)  It’s so nice to hear from others about the relationships they had with Dad, and to be able to maintain connections with those people who were such a big part of our lives in 2009. 
Perhaps the strangest part of this whole thing is that life does go on - whether you want it to or not.  I’m still faced with all of life’s mundane tasks like grocery shopping and getting gas in my car.  I still have to put one foot in front of the other everyday – whether it’s for the walk from my car to work – or to complete a slightly more daunting 13.1 miles.  Whatever it is, I know my Dad’s with me every step of the journey.
--Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment