Sunday, February 21, 2010

Running Music

Today my training schedule had a 3-4 mile run. When I woke up I really didn't feel like going for a run. My legs were still kind of sore from my long run on Friday, and I was tired. I think that there are definitely times when you need to listen to your body and take a break. However, today was not that day! I was just feeling kind of lazy and I knew once I was out running I would feel better. I laced up my (still muddy) sneakers and headed out. I went back to the trail because I like running there but it was still pretty gross. Today's splits:

Mile 1: 16:01 (warm up)
Mile 2: 10:09 (.1 was still walking)
Mile 3: 9:18
Mile 4: 9:27
Mile 5: 9:08
Mile 6: 16:44 (cool down, .1 was still running)
.19: 3:18 (cool down)

The trail was snowy/icy where I usually start running so I walked through this part and then ran a little extra at the end. At about 2 and half miles I was running over what I thought was a snowy patch, but it turned out it was ice and I twisted my ankle a little. I kept running, but was freaking out because I was worried that I really hurt myself. After a minute though I felt fine. Phew!

When I hit 3 miles running I was about ready to quit. I was near the start of the trail (I was planning on doubling back for a half mile to finish the 4 mile run), and I was just ready to be done. Right when I was about to call it quits, the next song on my iPod came on. It was Rock & Roll by Eric Hutchinson. Now this song would probably pump anyone up, it's got a good beat and is just fun! But this song is extra motivational for me because Daddy loved it! He is actually the one who introduced it to me, which is rare in our house where I do most of the music recommendations. So instead of stopping I picked up my pace and finished those 4 miles! I love that just thinking about Dad can motivate me so much!

Here are a few more of my current favorite songs for running (in no particular order):
Everything's Magic- Angels and Airwaves
Hologram- Katie Herzig
How Fast- Rocco DeLuca (it's only about 2 minutes long, and one of lyrics is "how fast can you run"...so appropriate!)
Bulletproof- La Roux
Stripper- Soho Dolls
3- Britney Spears
Bad Romance- Lady GaGa
You Make My Dreams- Hall & Oates
Believe- The Bravery


Some of those are not songs I would usually admit to having on my iPod haha. But, they pump me up and are great for running! My cousin Jon sent me a mix recently (thanks Jon!) and I can't wait to add that music to my running mix too!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment