Thursday, February 11, 2010

Planning

I made a mental note to stop talking about snow on here, because I've written about it so many times. But after yesterday's insane snow storm, I feel like I can't just ignore it! I woke up yesterday to a sea of white. I knew that getting to the gym was out of the question so yesterday quickly became my rest day. I was kind of glad because even though I love waking up and hitting the gym, I could tell my legs needed a rest. The gym ended up being closed an hour or 2 later, so I definitely made a good call on that one. There was so much snow, around the corner from our house someone built a GIANT snowman:
Hard to see, but that's me standing next to it!

Today I had a 2 mile run scheduled. Obviously running outside wasn't going to happen. The gym also didn't open until 8am, but since I have class at 9 I knew that wouldn't be enough time to get there and back and shower, etc. So I decided just to nix my workout for the day.

At first, I was pretty bummed about this. I rarely take 2 days off in a week, but I've realized that you have to be flexible or else you are going to drive yourself crazy! I love to plan...whether it be my workout schedule, class schedule, a to do list or a shopping list. I live by my planner and write everything down. However, every once in a while things are beyond your control and they don't go according to plan and you just have to LET IT GO! I just adjusted my plan for the weekend instead of worrying. Instead of Friday rest, Saturday run, Sunday cross train. I'm going to do Friday spinning, Saturday run, Sunday cross train. I think my legs got plenty of rest these last 2 days and that I'll be fine. Of course if my legs tell me otherwise I'll just re-plan!

We also got an email from our Team in Training coach saying to be safe, and not to overcompensate for miles missed this week. It is much better to miss 1 or 2 workouts than to over train and end up getting injured and missing weeks of workouts.

I ended up kind of getting in a workout anyway today when I dug out my car! Woo! My arm muscles are screaming now!

Let's hope all this snow melts quickly and I can start talking about spring!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment