Thursday, April 22, 2010

So Close

It's official. I am DONE with training for the half marathon which is THIS Sunday!!! So crazy. I woke up this morning not really feeling like getting up. I knew I could have technically skipped this run and it wouldn't have mattered, but I have this irrational fear that every time I go out for a run I won't be able to do it. I have no idea why I think this, because I have run regularly for quite some time now. Whatever the reason for my irrationality, I still wanted to prove to myself that I could do these last 4 training miles.


I got up and decided to head down to the trail because it's easier to run on and today was not supposed to be a difficult run or anything. As I headed out I kept repeating in my head "nice, easy 4 miles, that's it" because I didn't want to over do it today. My first mile was slow and steady, the next one was a little faster, and the third mile was slightly faster than the second. Since I knew I had negative splits for the first 3 miles I couldn't let that slip away and I just let my legs do their thing for the last mile. So much for nice and easy. Here are the splits:

Mile 1: 10:30
Mile 2: 10:07
Mile 3: 9:59
Mile 4: 9:06
Mile 5: 18:02 (cool down)
.04: 44 seconds (cool down)

I've said it a zillion times, but this race is not about time, and so I'm trying to relax about that for Sunday. But, when it comes to running, I am pretty competitive against myself (not really against other people) and I do have a goal in mind for Sunday. I would like to run the race exactly how I ran today, with the first 5 miles at a steady pace, the second 5 at a medium pace, the last ~3 at a fast-ish pace and the last half or quarter of a mile as fast as my legs are willing to go. We'll see how things go this weekend, but this race is about so much more than just time and I'm really excited about running with my sister. That being said...I have my eye on another half marathon in September...but let's get through Sunday first!

13.1 here I come!!!

Happy Earth Day!

--Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment