Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pushing through

I'm choosing a pretty bad time to want a break from running. With just TWELVE days til the race I'm starting to feel a little burnt out from training. I know I can push through and I'll make it to race day, but today's run was a challenge for me. First, I overslept....again...it's a good thing my roommate goes to work early because I would have kept sleeping had she not opened our front door (which beeps) when she left for work. It was after 7 which is over a half hour later than I usually wake up for my early morning runs, and I almost talked myself out of going. But I knew I would feel a lot better if I went for my run than if I didn't. Even if I didn't have enough time for my full 5 miles, I knew a short run would be worth it. I got ready really quickly and ended up having enough time for my full run.

Today's run showed me the perks of blogging about my training. I felt like quitting a few times (see above...burnt out...) but then I knew I would have to write about how I only ran X number of miles instead of the 5 miles I had planned. I would have to write about how I was a quitter...which I certainly am not! I powered through my run as best I could and even though it was a really tough run, my splits were respectable (for me):

Mile 1: 9:47
Mile 2: 10:03
Mile 3: 9:51
Mile 4: 10:00
Mile 5: 10:02
.4: 7:15 (cool down, cut short in the interest of time)
Total time: 57:01, 5 mile run time: 49:46

My ankle felt funny around mile 3 (it started hurting Sunday morning but then felt okay on Monday). This concerns me, since I haven't had any ankle pain throughout training, and I will be keeping a close watch on it and stretching (my favorite is the spider walk...but the images you get when you google image search that are kind of scary haha).

On Sunday my roommate and I both had the thought to go take pictures around campus. We did this when it was snowy out, and wanted to get some good spring shots.
Pretty flower
 Walkway through campus
 The UC

After my run this morning I quickly got ready and went to class where I found out that I rocked the test I had last week. It was just what I needed to turn my mood around after my lackluster run! I also don't have to go into work until an hour and a half later than I usually do! I'm off to stretch and relax a little since this morning was so rushed.

--Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment